In the Fall of 1979 Joseph D’Alessandro called a small group of
family and friends together to discuss ways to preserve the historic
Portuguese heritage of the area of Sacramento known informally as
Once a large and nationally significant settlement dating from the
mid 1800’s of Portuguese immigrants, the Pocket, an area of fertile
farmland, was gradually disappearing because of housing and
commercial development. The group called themselves the Sacramento
Portuguese-American Historical Committee and in 1980 incorporated as
a nonprofit organization through registration with the State of
California Department of Corporations. By January 1982, and with
considerably more members, the group renamed as the Portuguese
Historical and Cultural Society.
Lisbon School ( circa 1890 )
Located on Riverside Rd. The only ethnic public school district
in Sacramento area from 1870's to 1940's. School was moved to behind
St. Mary Church and became a clubhouse in 1967. Children of the
original Lisbon school attended this school until the Lower Lisbon
school was built.
Original Lisbon School ( est. 1885 )
Students at the original Lisbon school. Ms. MacCormack, teacher.
The new Sacramento City USD Lisbon school at South land Park was
named in honor of this school.
Lisbon School ( est. 1909 )
Built on Berkenkamp property off Riverside Rd. Replaced original
Lisbon school, which was destroyed by 1904 flood. Condemned in1928,
children then attended the Japanese school on the Lewis ranch until
1945 when Cabrillo was built. Lower Lisbon was then torn down.
top of page